ALBANY, Texas - An Albany man is dead after he got into an altercation with authorities Saturday night.
Stacy Guy Garren, 49, was fatally wounded after he allegedly pointed a gun at officers.
According to the Shackelford County Sheriff's Office, an Albany police officer and Shackelford County deputies responded to a disturbance call at 456 Chism St. in Albany around 8:30 p.m. Saturday night.
When the officers arrived at Garren's home, they found him in his backyard.
The officers tried to arrest Garren, but he allegedly broke free.
That is when, according to the sheriff's office, Garren retrieved a .22-caliber handgun and pointed it at the officers.
In response, officers fired four shots at Garren. The Texas Rangers have confirmed that the fatal shots were fired by a Shackelford County sheriff's deputy, not an Albany police officer.
Garren was taken to Hendrick Medical Center in Abilene and was pronounced dead around midnight.
The shooting is currently being investigated by the Texas Rangers and the Shackelford County Sheriff's Office.
Garren's neighbors described him as a loner who had a fiery temper.
Neighbors also said he didn't like people being on his property.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated