MERKEL, Texas - A tractor/trailer fire forced the closure of eastbound Interstate 20 near Wells Lane between Tye and Merkel on Thursday morning.
The fire began around 7 a.m.
According to scanner reports, the outside lane of eastbound I-20 was reopened around 8:05 a.m.
The trailer was carrying pool supplies. There was some initial concern there may have been chemicals involved in the fire, and a hazmat team was called.
"It's been determined the chemicals it is carrying are non-toxic," Taylor County Sheriff Ricky Bishop said. "It's a chemical used to kill algae in swimming pools, and it's supposed to be eco-friendly."
There were no reported injuries.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, making way for warmer weather and sunny skies