Nolan Co., TEXAS - The Texas Department of Transportation decided it would be best to replace a damaged bridge over I-20 in Nolan county.
The U.S. 84 eastbound overpass at I-20 was damaged in a collision with a semi in late September.
TxDOT says the bridge was already scheduled to be replaced in 2017 . The decision comes after extensive inspections and consultations with engineers.
In a press release a department spokesperson wrote ,"moving the project forward will address the recent damages and also provide an improved structure. Preliminary plans call for a one-span bridge with retaining walls to maximize the 'clear zone' distance from the I-20 main lanes to the bridge columns."
Design of the new bridge is under way.
The project is expected to go out for bids this winter, with construction starting shortly after. Specific time frames and costs are still being determined.
The existing bridge will be demolished and removed to speed up the replacement project and allow both lanes of westbound I-20 to be opened.
The outside lane has been closed since the crash.
- Updated Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Updated Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking scattered cloud cover with low to mid-80s for the work week
- Abilene locations to offer early voting Monday
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated