ABILENE, Texas - Texas Department of Transportation maintenance offices throughout the Big Country are preparing for winter storm that could leave some bridges and roadways slick and dangerous.
Here is the latest TxDOT news release:
Txdot prepares for winter storm
ABILENE – Texas Department of Transportation maintenance offices throughout the Big Country are gearing up for a winter storm expected to move into the area overnight and could last throughout the weekend.
Crews have equipment and deicing materials ready to go, and maintenance offices are preparing to work around the clock to treat slick roadways if conditions make it necessary. When a storm moves into the area, crews will begin treating the structures on the most heavily traveled roadways first, such as I-20 and other major highways.
If a winter storm strikes, drivers are urged to avoid getting out on the road. If they must, they should keep these tips in mind:
• Reduce speed. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions.
• Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
• Watch carefully for trucks and equipment treating roadways, and stay at least 200 feet back if you are behind a snow plow.
• Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
• If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you feel you have regained traction then straighten your vehicle.
More winter weather safety information can be found at www.txdot.gov – key word: winter driving. For road conditions, call the TxDOT road conditions hotline at 1-800-452-9292 or visit www.drivetexas.org.
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget