EULA, Texas - UPDATE: The female student has been listed in fair condition as of 4 p.m. Tuesday. The superintendent tells KTXS maintenance crews have combed the area looking for more snake activity in the part of campus where she was bit.
It was a rough start to the school year Monday for one Eula ISD student.
The female athlete was on the way to the school weight room when she was bit by a rattlesnake. This was about 3:30 p.m., just after classes had been let out.
The girl was walking barefoot and was bitten on the toe.
School staff attended to the girl, then members of the Eula Volunteer Fire Department responded.
The girl was taken by ambulance to an Abilene hospital where she's being treated for snake bite.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated