MERKEL, Texas - Volunteer firefighters from several departments are working to contain a grass fire by FM 89 near Mountain Pass in Merkel.
Firefighters from Mulberry Canyon were on the scene for about 30 minutes before calling for mutual aid around 2 p.m. Sunday. KTXS has a crew on scene and volunteer firefighters from Buffalo Gap, ECCA and Nolan County are assisting along with the Texas Forest Service and Taylor County Sheriff's deputies.
As of 10 p.m., the TFS website listed the 50-acre fire as 90 percent contained. The TFS has enlisted the help of four bulldozers to form a containment line around the fire and a twin engine aircraft to supervise and bring in air tankers as necessary.
The fire is believed to have been sparked by lightning from last week's thunderstorms, and was re-ignited.
This article will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Updated Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Updated 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Updated Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Updated HPU baseball team collects donations for LA flood victims
- Updated Lowe's Heroes gives back to the Disabled American Veterans