MERKEL, Texas - Volunteer firefighters from several departments are working to contain a grass fire by FM 89 near Mountain Pass in Merkel.
Firefighters from Mulberry Canyon were on the scene for about 30 minutes before calling for mutual aid around 2 p.m. Sunday. KTXS has a crew on scene and volunteer firefighters from Buffalo Gap, ECCA and Nolan County are assisting along with the Texas Forest Service and Taylor County Sheriff's deputies.
As of 10 p.m., the TFS website listed the 50-acre fire as 90 percent contained. The TFS has enlisted the help of four bulldozers to form a containment line around the fire and a twin engine aircraft to supervise and bring in air tankers as necessary.
The fire is believed to have been sparked by lightning from last week's thunderstorms, and was re-ignited.
This article will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Updated DISH Network subscribers lose access to KTXS, ABC38, MeTV programming
- Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Colorado City vet seriously injured in crash, fundraising effort underway
- Police: 2 children taken in 1985 found, mom arrested in Texas
- Video shows dog chained to open trailer on highway
- Abilene firefighters attack early morning fire
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Brown County Youth Fair steer auctioned for record $15,000
- Brownwood holds 5th annual MLK Day parade, ceremony
- Brown County fire department asking for help buying new truck
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- Clyde family seeks memorial quilt accidentally donated to Goodwill