MERKEL, Texas - Volunteer firefighters from several departments are working to contain a grass fire by FM 89 near Mountain Pass in Merkel.
Firefighters from Mulberry Canyon were on the scene for about 30 minutes before calling for mutual aid around 2 p.m. Sunday. KTXS has a crew on scene and volunteer firefighters from Buffalo Gap, ECCA and Nolan County are assisting along with the Texas Forest Service and Taylor County Sheriff's deputies.
As of 10 p.m., the TFS website listed the 50-acre fire as 90 percent contained. The TFS has enlisted the help of four bulldozers to form a containment line around the fire and a twin engine aircraft to supervise and bring in air tankers as necessary.
The fire is believed to have been sparked by lightning from last week's thunderstorms, and was re-ignited.
This article will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco
- Updated Texas detective fired for mishandling child abuse cases
- Updated American Airlines plane lands safely despite engine flames
- Updated Texan fatally shot girlfriend, her friend, his son, 3, self
- Updated Police: Man robs New York City bank in ball gown, heels