MERKEL, Texas - Volunteer firefighters from several departments are working to contain a grass fire by FM 89 near Mountain Pass in Merkel.
Firefighters from Mulberry Canyon were on the scene for about 30 minutes before calling for mutual aid around 2 p.m. Sunday. KTXS has a crew on scene and volunteer firefighters from Buffalo Gap, ECCA and Nolan County are assisting along with the Texas Forest Service and Taylor County Sheriff's deputies.
As of 10 p.m., the TFS website listed the 50-acre fire as 90 percent contained. The TFS has enlisted the help of four bulldozers to form a containment line around the fire and a twin engine aircraft to supervise and bring in air tankers as necessary.
The fire is believed to have been sparked by lightning from last week's thunderstorms, and was re-ignited.
This article will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Updated Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- 3 suspects sought by Abilene police
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth