SNYDER, Texas - A Snyder man is charged with murder and aggravated assault after authorities said he shot and killed his daughter and seriously injured his wife Friday.
The Snyder Police Department and Scurry County EMS responded to a shooting at the home of 52-year-old James Smith in the 1300 block of 23rd street in Snyder around 9:40 p.m. Friday.
They said Smith's wife, 55-year-old Jeanie, and 26-year-old daughter, Mattie, had been shot. Mattie was pronounced dead at Cogdell Hospital and Jeanie was taken to University Medical Center in Lubbock in critical condition.
Snyder Chief of Police Terry Luecke said Monday that Jeanie is still in the hospital and is in serious but stable condition. As of Tuesday, she is being cared for in the hospital's intensive care unit.
Smith was arrested and charged with murder and aggravated assault. As of Monday, he is being held in the Scurry County Jail on bond totaling $150,000.
Authorities continue to investigate.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated