SNYDER, Texas - A Snyder man is charged with murder and aggravated assault after authorities said he shot and killed his daughter and seriously injured his wife Friday.
The Snyder Police Department and Scurry County EMS responded to a shooting at the home of 52-year-old James Smith in the 1300 block of 23rd street in Snyder around 9:40 p.m. Friday.
They said Smith's wife, 55-year-old Jeanie, and 26-year-old daughter, Mattie, had been shot. Mattie was pronounced dead at Cogdell Hospital and Jeanie was taken to University Medical Center in Lubbock in critical condition.
Snyder Chief of Police Terry Luecke said Monday that Jeanie is still in the hospital and is in serious but stable condition. As of Tuesday, she is being cared for in the hospital's intensive care unit.
Smith was arrested and charged with murder and aggravated assault. As of Monday, he is being held in the Scurry County Jail on bond totaling $150,000.
Authorities continue to investigate.
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Boy, 7, finds key, unlocks Texas gun cabinet, shoots self
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco