SNYDER, Texas - A Snyder man is charged with murder and aggravated assault after authorities said he shot and killed his daughter and seriously injured his wife Friday.
The Snyder Police Department and Scurry County EMS responded to a shooting at the home of 52-year-old James Smith in the 1300 block of 23rd street in Snyder around 9:40 p.m. Friday.
They said Smith's wife, 55-year-old Jeanie, and 26-year-old daughter, Mattie, had been shot. Mattie was pronounced dead at Cogdell Hospital and Jeanie was taken to University Medical Center in Lubbock in critical condition.
Snyder Chief of Police Terry Luecke said Monday that Jeanie is still in the hospital and is in serious but stable condition. As of Tuesday, she is being cared for in the hospital's intensive care unit.
Smith was arrested and charged with murder and aggravated assault. As of Monday, he is being held in the Scurry County Jail on bond totaling $150,000.
Authorities continue to investigate.
- Updated 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Updated Oakland fire kills at least 9 at warehouse party, fire chief says
- Dyess Air Force Base unveils Wall of Honor
- Updated Abilene church raises money for Kenyan orphans
- McMurry University hosts annual high school debates
- Christmas market in Abilene benefits African orphanage
- Russian man caught with synthetic opioid in Abilene, could face deportation
- Abilene's Food for Fares campaign nearing its end
- City of Abilene offering trolley tour of homes decorated for holidays
- Abilene parents fear impending cuts to therapy for children