A 42-year-old Lake Brownwood man who allegedly fatally shot a Reagan County deputy last week is dead, Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Sparky Dean confirmed Wednesday.
Marcus Wade Madison was taken off of life support at 4 p.m. Tuesday at a Reagan County hospital, Dean said.
Before surrendering to police, Madison shot himself in the face in an attempted suicide, he said.
Madison's body is being taken at 1 p.m. Wednesday to Lubbock for an autopsy.
Madison was accused of shooting and killing West Texas deputy Josh Mitchell before being involved in a 17-hour standoff in Big Lake last week.
While Madison was in Brown County, Sheriff Bobby Grubbs said he lived in the Shamrock Shores area of Lake Brownwood. Madison was arrested in Brown County on July 7 for family violence, resisting arrest, and retaliation or obstruction. He posted bail on July 14.
Funeral services for Mitchell, the deputy who Madison allegedly shot, are today.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account