SWEETWATER, Texas - The Highway 84 overpass at Interstate 20 between Sweetwater and Roscoe is back open.
A fiery accident closed the overpass overnight. This is the same overpass that was recently rebuilt after it was struck by an 18-wheeler in 2012.
According to the Nolan County Sheriff's office, an 18-wheeler carrying groceries from Amarillo wrecked on the overpass and caught fire.
The driver was able to escape uninjured, but the fire was so hot it damaged part of the concrete on the bridge.
Inspectors say the damage is only to the surface and the bridge is structurally sound.
TxDOT said Saturday crews are installing a concrete barrier in place of the missing railing. Drivers are being told to slow down to 60 mph in that area.
Wide loads won't be able to travel there until more permanent repairs are made.
- Updated Volkswagen agrees to compensate US dealers over emissions scandal
- Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic