BALLINGER, Texas - Clyde "Jay" Slonaker, 84, was a veteran from San Angelo who had a dying wish. His wish: to be escorted by The Green Knights Motorcycle Club to his final resting place at Fort Sam Houston Memorial Cemetery in San Antonio. Today, his wish is being fulfilled.
Slonaker joined the army in 1946 and served in both the Vietnam and Korean war. He developed a love for motorcycles on his first tour in Italy and loved talking about them and the army.
"He is very happy that we're going to have motorcycles taking him to San Antonio," said his wife, Dorothea Slonaker.
Art Taylor who is the resource director at the Heritage Family Funeral Home worked with Clyde on this for over a year.
"When you work with veterans number one you have a tie with them, a strong bond with them any way but this gentleman was quite extraordinary," said Taylor, "He was one that even if you didn't want to like him you couldn't help yourself."
"He's going to be sorely missed, we really loved him a lot and going back to that house is going to be the hardest thing for me to do because he's not going to be there," said Dorothea.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel