A state agency may be looking into possible voting irregularities in Stephens County during the general election.
The Breckenridge American reports that vote totals in the sheriff's race that were originally posted as one number were later changed to another.
The county explained that an employee had pushed the wrong button on the counting machine, causing early and absentee ballots to be added a second time into precinct totals where the voter was registered.
Incumbent Sheriff Dan Young was defeated in the election by Breckenridge police officer Billy Wade.
It's not clear if a formal complain has been filed with the Secretary of State office.
Stephens County Commissioners have called a special meeting for 10 a.m. Friday to canvass the votes.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated