MERKEL, Texas - Walmart has requested a land zone change in Merkel.
Merkel City Manager Steve Campbell said Walmart has asked to rezone the land directly north of the Subway, just off of Interstate 20 from "agricultural to general business district."
Campbell said he's not sure if Walmart wants to build a full-sized store or a Walmart Express.
Walmart Express stores are small-scale and about the size of a convenience store.
They offer food, pharmacies and are in direct competition with stores like Dollar General, Dollar Tree and CVS.
A public hearing on the rezoning request will be April 21 at 6:30 p.m. at Heritage Hall in Merkel.
- Updated Photo of Abilene veteran and his service dog goes viral
- Justin Ross Harris gets life for leaving boy in hot car to die
- 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade