MERKEL, Texas - Walmart has requested a land zone change in Merkel.
Merkel City Manager Steve Campbell said Walmart has asked to rezone the land directly north of the Subway, just off of Interstate 20 from "agricultural to general business district."
Campbell said he's not sure if Walmart wants to build a full-sized store or a Walmart Express.
Walmart Express stores are small-scale and about the size of a convenience store.
They offer food, pharmacies and are in direct competition with stores like Dollar General, Dollar Tree and CVS.
A public hearing on the rezoning request will be April 21 at 6:30 p.m. at Heritage Hall in Merkel.
- WATCH NOW: Live coverage of President Donald Trump's inauguration
- West Texas teacher admits luring immigrant teachers for kickbacks
- Texas judge cited after allegedly making obscene gesture
- Updated Abilene High School students attend presidential inauguration
- Firefighters battle grass fire west of Anson