MERKEL, Texas - Walmart has requested a land zone change in Merkel.
Merkel City Manager Steve Campbell said Walmart has asked to rezone the land directly north of the Subway, just off of Interstate 20 from "agricultural to general business district."
Campbell said he's not sure if Walmart wants to build a full-sized store or a Walmart Express.
Walmart Express stores are small-scale and about the size of a convenience store.
They offer food, pharmacies and are in direct competition with stores like Dollar General, Dollar Tree and CVS.
A public hearing on the rezoning request will be April 21 at 6:30 p.m. at Heritage Hall in Merkel.
- Updated Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Updated Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- High levels of ammonia in Texas home where some 430 animals found