MERKEL, Texas - Walmart has requested a land zone change in Merkel.
Merkel City Manager Steve Campbell said Walmart has asked to rezone the land directly north of the Subway, just off of Interstate 20 from "agricultural to general business district."
Campbell said he's not sure if Walmart wants to build a full-sized store or a Walmart Express.
Walmart Express stores are small-scale and about the size of a convenience store.
They offer food, pharmacies and are in direct competition with stores like Dollar General, Dollar Tree and CVS.
A public hearing on the rezoning request will be April 21 at 6:30 p.m. at Heritage Hall in Merkel.
- Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer