MERKEL, Texas - Walmart has requested a land zone change in Merkel.
Merkel City Manager Steve Campbell said Walmart has asked to rezone the land directly north of the Subway, just off of Interstate 20 from "agricultural to general business district."
Campbell said he's not sure if Walmart wants to build a full-sized store or a Walmart Express.
Walmart Express stores are small-scale and about the size of a convenience store.
They offer food, pharmacies and are in direct competition with stores like Dollar General, Dollar Tree and CVS.
A public hearing on the rezoning request will be April 21 at 6:30 p.m. at Heritage Hall in Merkel.
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Boy, 7, finds key, unlocks Texas gun cabinet, shoots self
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco