ABILENE, Texas - This week marks the dawn of a new season for Texas high school football. And with the start of the madness beginning on Thursday, it means “Wilner’s Weekly Watch” returns for its second season highlighting my games to keep an eye on each week.
Comanche at Ballinger – Friday, 7:30 p.m.
First up here on Friday night, Comanche at Ballinger and the first regular season game for the newest Bearcat coach, Chuck Lipsey.
Boy is it a big one for the Bearcats as he hosts a Comanche team picked first in its preseason district rankings after a 5-0 title run. Coach Stephen Hermesmeyer leads a veteran program filled with talent – including his son at QB, making a charge at an even further run in the postseason.
Ballinger can still make a statement here on opening weekend, with 12 returning starters back and a coaching mind like Lipsey ready to turn things around.
Hamlin at Anson (FFN Game of the Week) – Friday, 7:30 p.m.
A class 2A showdown marks our first KTXS “Football Friday Night” Game of the Week as the Pied Pipers try and steal one inside the Tigers den against Anson.
The Tigers made history with its farthest playoff run last year being the regional final, and are poised for another one with a veteran-filled team against Hamlin – who’s eager to prove its lack of depth is no excuse for a signature win on week one.
San Angelo Central vs. Abilene High – Friday, 7:30 p.m. (Shotwell)
But the mac daddy here in Abilene for this week is the almost-annual tradition of San Angelo Central and Abilene High.
These two former district 3-6A rivals still get after it each year, with the Bobcats putting a beating on the Eagles last season at their house.
We know how good AHS rebounded from that, going on to winning district and nearly upsetting state champ DeSoto in the third round.
Abilene High would love revenge in what will be an electric atmosphere, but will have to showcase its speed and execution -- having a line up much smaller this year than Central.
Should be good ones near and far this weekend, so gear up – football is back!
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country