BROWNWOOD, Texas - A day after being found guilty, a 28-year-old Brownwood man was sentenced Thursday to life in prison on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and burglary of a habitation.
Authorities say Robert Zepeda broke into his ex-girlfriend's home and beat her with a drill and a clothes iron on the early morning of Jan. 26.
On Wednesday, the jury deliberated for about five minutes before coming back with a guilty verdict. On Thursday, after listening to Zepeda's family on the witness stand and Zepeda, the jury gave him the sentence of life in prison.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated