BROWNWOOD, Texas - A day after being found guilty, a 28-year-old Brownwood man was sentenced Thursday to life in prison on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and burglary of a habitation.
Authorities say Robert Zepeda broke into his ex-girlfriend's home and beat her with a drill and a clothes iron on the early morning of Jan. 26.
On Wednesday, the jury deliberated for about five minutes before coming back with a guilty verdict. On Thursday, after listening to Zepeda's family on the witness stand and Zepeda, the jury gave him the sentence of life in prison.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking