BROWNWOOD, Texas - A day after being found guilty, a 28-year-old Brownwood man was sentenced Thursday to life in prison on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and burglary of a habitation.
Authorities say Robert Zepeda broke into his ex-girlfriend's home and beat her with a drill and a clothes iron on the early morning of Jan. 26.
On Wednesday, the jury deliberated for about five minutes before coming back with a guilty verdict. On Thursday, after listening to Zepeda's family on the witness stand and Zepeda, the jury gave him the sentence of life in prison.
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase