BROWN COUNTY, Texas - The Brown County Sheriff’s Office is investigating how a man died after his body was found in a burned home.
The sheriff’s office was called around 3 p.m. Saturday to do a welfare check at a home in the 2800 block of Belle Plain Road. The deputy who went to the home found a man sitting on a couch, dead.
The body was sent to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy and positive identification.
A family member tells KTXS the victim is 63-year-old Clois Jackson.
When asked whether foul play is suspected, Sheriff Vance Hill told KTXS, "at this point, we are not exactly sure."
Brownwood Fire Marshal Buddy Preston said the cause of the fire was a heating/air conditioner unit. He said the fire smothered itself out.
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- $14.25 million lottery prize claimed two days before ticket bought in Abilene expired
- Former Texas teacher arrested for inappropriate relationship with a minor
- Viral photo shows baby on Santa's lap giving sign for 'help'
- Officials: Texas man posing as film director made child porn
- Fake City of Abilene Facebook page removed, unclear who took it down
- Abilene police chief calls solving year-old murder of Abilene realtor ‘very high priority'
- Shipping deadlines quickly approaching for Christmas
- Abilene police buy presents for 'Operation Blue Santa'
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- City of Abilene asks public for feedback on Lake Kirby
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Brown County capital murder suspect waives arriagnment
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Fire engulfs trailer house in Tye
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out