BROWNWOOD, Texas - A Brownwood mother was busy Sunday, a week before Christmas, making funeral plans for her 8-year-old son.
Daylan Franklin was playing outside Saturday afternoon in the 1600 block of 6th Street when he was hit by a 1995 Ford Crown Victoria. Franklin was pronounced dead about an hour later.
“He has Christmas presents he can’t even open,” said Daylan’s mom, Vanessa Franklin.
The driver, Samuel Juarez, Jr., was charged with intoxication manslaughter and failure to stop and render aid.
Court records obtained by KTXS show Juarez has been arrested multiple times for DWI. He also has a previous arrest for “fleeing the scene of an accident.”
PHOTO GALLERY -- > http://www.ktxs.com/photos
Based on Juarez’s criminal record, Vanessa said she believed her son’s death was preventable.
“If they did their job right, my baby would be here right now,” Franklin said.
Daylan was a 3rd grader at East Elementary in Brownwood. Principal Nanda Wilbourn stopped by the family’s home Sunday afternoon but declined an interview.
“He loved his Xbox," Franklin said. "He liked to play football. He liked his music. He was a calm, good boy. He didn’t get in any trouble.”
The viewing will be held Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Blaylock Funeral Home. The funeral is Thursday at 2 p.m. at New Beginnings Church.
- Local church hosts car show to help victims of Hurricane Harvey
- DACA advocates march in front of Abilene City Hall
- Local officers collected tips at Red Robin for Special Olympics Texas
- Busch Jewelers in Abilene going out of business after 73 years
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Wanted: 10 fugitives sought by Abilene police
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Anson man indicted for indecency with a child
- 2 arrested for allegedly distributing meth across 3 counties
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation