BROWNWOOD, Texas - A 5k run to raise child abuse awareness is coming to Abilene, Brownwood, and San Angelo.
"Run For Dreams" is put on by 'A World For Children', a non-profit child placing agency.
This is the 1st "Run For Dreams" 5k that A World For Children is hosting, and is a statewide effort.
There will be races in all 12 regions across Texas.
The race will be April 13 at 9 a.m. at Riverside Park in Brownwood, Nelson Park in Abilene, and Kid's Kingdom in San Angelo.
212 children lost their lives due to child abuse in Texas in 2012.
That's one reason why A World For Children Clinical Director Lori St. Ama in Brownwood is working tirelessly to organize the first ever 5k "Run For Dreams."
"Such an important cause, I mean these kids are right here in our towns and they're sitting next to your kids in school. They're part of our lives everyday and we overlook them; we assume that things are okay at home," said St. Ama.
On April 13, people will be running in cities all across the state at the same time for one purpose: fight against child abuse.
The Runaway Train is one of two sponsors for the race in Brownwood so far.
"Well, it's our children, I mean it doesn't get any more important than that. Everything starts with them and generations to come are based on them," said Owner of Runaway Train Kim Bruton.
Heart of Texas Martial Arts will be performing after the race and providing information about empowering children.
"We want them to see the future and understand their future, and be able to deal with their problems in life without turning to things like drugs and drinking," said Tony Welker.
The proceeds will go to children in foster care in each city the race is held.
The 5k race in Brownwood still needs sponsors. To become a sponsor or register to run, visit http://www.awfc.org, or call 325-641-1055. That is A World For Children's phone number in Brownwood.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash