BLANKET, Texas - The new school year is a few weeks away and Blanket ISD is still fixing the damage done a few months ago when a tornado ripped through the town.
The school superintendent, Kevy Allred, said it costs more than $1 million to repair the school. Much of that is covered by insurance.
Allred said in hindsight, the tornado was a good thing to have happened. "We got a facelift just at the right time when it was in need of it. We're able to upgrade some things that needed upgrading as a result of that."
Construction crews, who have been working since June to fix up the campus, will be putting in new materials into ceilings, walls and floors. They are also working on insulation.
The school's gym was one of the hardest hit and won't be back to normal until at least early November. However, Allred said a section of the gym will still be usable for basketball practice.
Allred said he didn't expect to be under a tornado back in May. "I just thought it was a funnel cloud that would pass on."
The 20-second tornado left a mess for the superintendent to clean up. It has been a busy summer for Allred as he worried about getting everything ready for the upcoming school year, which he said will be a good one. "The students are excited to see the changes."
The first day of school at Blanket ISD starts on August 26, 2013.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Updated KTXS Forecast: A fire danger Tuesday with very warm and windy conditions
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Updated Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck