BROWNWOOD, Texas - According to the Brown County Health Center, there have been three reported Pertussis cases in Brown County in the last three weeks.
Pertussis is also known as whooping cough.
The health department's Public Health Preparedness Coordinator Cliff Karnes said so far this year, as of Dec. 16th, there have been 3,482 Pertussis cases across the state.
"The last time the number was this high was in 1959," Karnes said.
Karnes said often times people could have the virus and not be aware of it. Some of the symptoms include coughing, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, and a fever. "That's at the beginning. After about two weeks, the coughing can become very severe. It's not as bad for adults as it is for babies."
He encourages everyone to get a vaccination as the first preventative measure. It is also important to keep hands clean.
The department's LVN and outreach specialist Donna Miller said since babies are too young to get the shot, they should be kept away from people who are sick.
To get a shot or to get more information, you can call the department at (325) 643-3793.
- Updated Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- Updated North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Updated Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog