BROWNWOOD, Texas - Two Republican candidates running for Brown County Commissioner of Precinct 4 share similar goals - and both have experience as commissioner.
Brown County Precinct 4 covers the western side of the area, including Bangs and Lake Brownwood.
Incumbent Larry Traweek has been Brown County Commissioner for seven years. His opponent is David Carroll, who was county commissioner from 2003-2007 and is now working in real estate.
Both candidates said their goal is to save money.
"I want to keep the tax rate as low as possible," Traweek said. "We've kept our tax rate below what it was when I took office."
"I think there are some expenses that can be cut to save taxpayer dollars and if I see where that cut will be needed then I will take action on it," said Carroll.
Both of them also said they care about the community's safety and want to focus on infrastructure.
"Roads are an important part of the Commissioner's job," Carroll said. "I'll patrol all county roads in Precinct 4 at least monthly."
"Without your infrastructure, you have nothing. We had a lot of roads that weren't in good repair but we're getting all of them re-paved," said Traweek.
Carroll said he will bring a positive attitude and new ideas to the table if he gets elected. Traweek said he always enjoys challenges and his experience sets him apart from Carroll.
County commissioners are generally responsible for taking care of county roads, maintaining budgets and approving hires and fires within county government departments.
Early voting ends on Feb. 28. Election Day is March 4.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated