BROWNWOOD, Texas - A two-week investigation has resulted in the Brown County Sheriff's Office arresting one of its jailers for sneaking contraband to some inmates.
Now a former employee of BSCO, Michael Howard, 32, was arrested for smuggling tobacco products to Justin Daniell, 32, Kevin Sliger, 34, and Stacy Darnell, 41.
Sheriff Bobby Grubbs held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to address the issue. He said the substances were being provided by Barry Daniell, 64, and Shanna Hughitt, 33, and that Howard was being paid to assist with delivery.
"We take this very seriously," Grubbs said. "It's a slap in the face to the corrections people. It's a slap in the face to law enforcement. We don't do that. You always keep your mind and eyes open for this and watch for it."
He said all six people were charged with Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity-Prohibited Substances and Items into a Correctional Facility.
Grubbs said there could be additional arrests and charges.
- Fire chief: 10 pigs killed in Sweetwater ISD ag barn fire
- Brown County: Man receives 10-year sentence for failing to follow through on internet sale
- Mustangs relishing in chance to make history
- Schools showing support on social media for injured Iraan cheerleaders
- Ranger College's Gillispie announces sudden retirement from coaching