BROWNWOOD, Texas - A two-week investigation has resulted in the Brown County Sheriff's Office arresting one of its jailers for sneaking contraband to some inmates.
Now a former employee of BSCO, Michael Howard, 32, was arrested for smuggling tobacco products to Justin Daniell, 32, Kevin Sliger, 34, and Stacy Darnell, 41.
Sheriff Bobby Grubbs held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to address the issue. He said the substances were being provided by Barry Daniell, 64, and Shanna Hughitt, 33, and that Howard was being paid to assist with delivery.
"We take this very seriously," Grubbs said. "It's a slap in the face to the corrections people. It's a slap in the face to law enforcement. We don't do that. You always keep your mind and eyes open for this and watch for it."
He said all six people were charged with Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity-Prohibited Substances and Items into a Correctional Facility.
Grubbs said there could be additional arrests and charges.
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase