BROWNWOOD, Texas - The Brownwood Bulletin is asking for gloves and mittens for Brown County children in need as part of the "Becky's Wish" campaign.
That was the mission of Becky Wright, the late wife of the Bulletin's CEO, before she died unexpectedly in 2008.
"As you can tell from the weather that we have, you never know when the cold's going to hit," the Bulletin's Trease Burke said.
Burke said she knows the small-town community always helps each other out.
Brittany Craddock, also with the Bulletin, said the community's help is important. "There are kids in our community whose parents are not always able to provide those things so it allows us to provide for them."
This is the third year members of the Bulletin are participating in the "Becky's Wish" campaign. They will be collecting gloves and mittens from now until Jan. 3, 2014. They will distribute the donations to Good Samaritan Ministries (GSM) during the week of Jan. 6th. GSM will then distribute the donations to kids who are registered in their Food 4 Thought program.
"It's always good when people take it upon themselves to do a project that didn't originate here, and it's something that's on their heart and they want to give back," GSM program manager Misty Bowers said. "We have more than 100 students on our list right now."
Burke and Craddock said they will place boxes in various locations throughout the county, such as banks, fitness centers and other local businesses. If local businesses want to place a box and help collect donations, they can call Burke or Craddock at 325-646-2541.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash