BROWNWOOD, Texas - The Brownwood Bulletin is asking for gloves and mittens for Brown County children in need as part of the "Becky's Wish" campaign.
That was the mission of Becky Wright, the late wife of the Bulletin's CEO, before she died unexpectedly in 2008.
"As you can tell from the weather that we have, you never know when the cold's going to hit," the Bulletin's Trease Burke said.
Burke said she knows the small-town community always helps each other out.
Brittany Craddock, also with the Bulletin, said the community's help is important. "There are kids in our community whose parents are not always able to provide those things so it allows us to provide for them."
This is the third year members of the Bulletin are participating in the "Becky's Wish" campaign. They will be collecting gloves and mittens from now until Jan. 3, 2014. They will distribute the donations to Good Samaritan Ministries (GSM) during the week of Jan. 6th. GSM will then distribute the donations to kids who are registered in their Food 4 Thought program.
"It's always good when people take it upon themselves to do a project that didn't originate here, and it's something that's on their heart and they want to give back," GSM program manager Misty Bowers said. "We have more than 100 students on our list right now."
Burke and Craddock said they will place boxes in various locations throughout the county, such as banks, fitness centers and other local businesses. If local businesses want to place a box and help collect donations, they can call Burke or Craddock at 325-646-2541.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated