BROWNWOOD, Texas - A large lot in south Brownwood may be put to good use in the near future.
Brownwood City Manager Bobby Rountree said the City Council is planning to approve a lease agreement for truck parking. Those trucks are part of a company that will be hauling pipes for a pipeline across Texas. Workers will be busy with the Bridge Tex Pipeline project, which stretches from Colorado City to Houston.
According to Rountree, the project runs through Brown, Callahan and Comanche counties, so the company will have to make a stop in Brownwood.
He said the three-acre parking space will be located off of FM 45, behind the sports complex and near the Havins Unit. The contract will last for three months, and the company will pay $600 per month to utilize the area.
"It's property that's been unused so it's just a little bit of additional revenue for the city itself and for the citizens as well," Rountree said.
The company may be paying for more than just a parking spot in Brownwood, which means their arrival may be beneficial for local businesses.
"Certainly it will help the economy," Rountree said. "I don't know to what extent but if they need repairs on vehicles, if they purchase fuel, the workers are going to be in and around Brownwood, so they'll be buying commodities from local stores."
Rountree said the location is good even though it is isolated because it is near a pipe storage unit and workers will have easy access onto the highway.
Rountree said the final decision will be made at Tuesday's City Council meeting. That meeting begins at 9 a.m.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated