BROWNWOOD, Texas - It is important for athletes to be healthy, which is what Brownwood Guardian EMS is trying to ensure.
EMS staff members are providing free EKG screenings for high school athlete. The goal is to detect any heart abnormalities early on so action can be taken to prevent sudden cardiac arrest.
They started with Brownwood High School's football team early Wednesday morning.
"I think it's a wise decision to take every precaution necessary," BHS head football coach Chuck Howard said. "As a coach, we have a responsibility and accountability for our kids."
Howard said he has never had a player fall due to heart problems but he knows others who have.
Guardian EMS Chief Operations Officer Ross Bradley said there aren't a lot of obvious symptoms for sudden cardiac arrest, aside from dizziness or passing out.
"Right now we're targeting athletes because that seems to be the biggest majority of where the problems are just because of the stress that they put on their bodies," Bradley said.
Bradley said he hopes to expand this project to other sports athletes and other areas in Texas.
Guardian EMS decided to partner with the Cody Stephens Foundation, which is an organization aimed to provide EKG screenings to young, seemingly-healthy athletes. For more on his story and how you can donate, visit http://www.codystephensfoundation.org/.
- Updated Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer