BROWNWOOD, Texas - Billy Jones attended Brownwood High School for a short time but he made a big impact while he was there.
The 18-year-old Jones was killed in a car crash last Sunday. He was a senior who played on the BHS Baseball team.
"He was a very humorous, young man. He had a way of making you smile and he enjoyed life," said Herb Rios, Brownwood High School head baseball coach. "His personality just brightened up the room."
Rios said it has been emotionally difficult for the students to adjust to Jones' absence on campus, but there are lessons for them to take away from this.
"It makes them realize that life is short and we should do everything that we can to enjoy it in a way that is positive," Rios said. "You know, building positive relationships and taking advantage of opportunities that we have every day to grow and to learn, and to just enjoy the people you get to be around."
According to Rios, the plan is to move forward throughout the rest of the season and semester and appreciate every opportunity and moment of life as they play their games.
"We're trying to get back into the swing of things," Rios said. "It's going to take some time but it's definitely been good. All of their memories of Billy are good and that really helps the transition. It helps fill in the void."
Jones' funeral was this past Saturday. Rios said there will be a dedication to Jones at their last home game at 7 p.m. on April 22.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer