BROWNWOOD, Texas - Efrain Castillo III will spend 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to murdering Ronald Philen.
Castillo is one of four men charged in the 2009 case.
Originally, Ronald Philen's brother Randall was charged and convicted of the murder. New evidence in the case allowed the brother to be released in January 2012. The murder charge was later dropped.
The new evidence pointed authorities to four men in their 20s. Castillo, Alex Gil, Jr., Pedro Rocha, Jr., and Matthew Navarro were arrested and charged with murder.
Gil was sentenced to 40 years in prison in June 2013. Rocha's trial is set for Oct. 28. Navarro is scheduled to go on trial on Jan. 27, 2014.
- Updated San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- Updated 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams crowd during Mardi Gras parade; many injured
- Updated Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash