BROWNWOOD, Texas - Efrain Castillo III will spend 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to murdering Ronald Philen.
Castillo is one of four men charged in the 2009 case.
Originally, Ronald Philen's brother Randall was charged and convicted of the murder. New evidence in the case allowed the brother to be released in January 2012. The murder charge was later dropped.
The new evidence pointed authorities to four men in their 20s. Castillo, Alex Gil, Jr., Pedro Rocha, Jr., and Matthew Navarro were arrested and charged with murder.
Gil was sentenced to 40 years in prison in June 2013. Rocha's trial is set for Oct. 28. Navarro is scheduled to go on trial on Jan. 27, 2014.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web