BROWNWOOD, Texas - Efrain Castillo III will spend 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to murdering Ronald Philen.
Castillo is one of four men charged in the 2009 case.
Originally, Ronald Philen's brother Randall was charged and convicted of the murder. New evidence in the case allowed the brother to be released in January 2012. The murder charge was later dropped.
The new evidence pointed authorities to four men in their 20s. Castillo, Alex Gil, Jr., Pedro Rocha, Jr., and Matthew Navarro were arrested and charged with murder.
Gil was sentenced to 40 years in prison in June 2013. Rocha's trial is set for Oct. 28. Navarro is scheduled to go on trial on Jan. 27, 2014.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend