BROWNWOOD, Texas - Schools across the Big Country are doing their part to support breast cancer awareness month.
Brownwood ISD is doing more this year for awareness because one of their own is battling breast cancer.
Students were busy sorting over a thousand pink t-shirts Tuesday and taking them to different classrooms to be passed out tomorrow morning.
"This is the first year that we've made t-shirts for the whole community to buy or to get to wear," said Justin Robinson Brownwood High School junior.
But this year one of their own is battling the disease, so the school district is going above and beyond to support breast cancer awareness.
"A librarian a Brownwood Middle School with cancer and we're supporting her and we have a couple survivors in our school as high school students," said Chandler Staton Brownwood High School junior.
The students have also made signs that hang in the hallways and banners that will be displayed at sporting events.
Dalin Cummings Digital Media Specialist at Brownwood Middle School is a former volleyball player for Brownwood ISD and has been battling breast cancer since June.
"Just the support from the campus, much less all the other campuses, has just been really overwhelming. I mean, I get a little choked up, but it's been pretty amazing," said Cummings.
Judy Kennedy Athletic Coordinator at Brownwood Middle School was Dalin's volleyball coach when she was in high school.
"That's one of my players, and I just felt like it should've been me instead of her, you know, because to me she's just a kid, but she's a great person with a great attitude about all of this," said Kennedy.
The support for Dalin and breast cancer awareness doesn't stop with pink t-shirts, the middle school volleyball team also raised money for Dalin through a volleyball game.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated