BROWNWOOD, Texas - Brownwood senior centers held a rocking chair marathon on Wednesday to raise money for Relay for Life.
The event, which was open to the public, took place at the Chatfield Assisted Living facility from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
As part of the 3rd annual "Relay for Life Rock-a-Thon", people enjoyed live music, hamburgers and desserts as well as rocking in chairs.
For a minimum $5 donation, the public got to rock for 15 minutes, or they got one of the senior residents to do it.
"They get a big kick out of it, but they also know that they're contributing to something for a really good cause," said Jodie Armstrong, with CARE Nursing & Rehabilitation. "Not only is this for a good cause to raise money, but it brings joy also to just see the residents from each of the facilities."
CARE Nursing & Rehabilitation, Oak Ridge Manor and the Chatfield teamed up to raise money and will divide the money they collected between the individual teams.
The event also brought joy to the residents.
"This is all great," said Veneta Nolen, a cancer survivor and Oak Ridge Manor resident. "Anything that will promote cancer research or increase the growth of cancer survivors is great."
If you would like to make a donation, you can do so at any of the senior centers. For more information contact Armstrong at (325) 642-0363.
- Updated Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer