BROWNWOOD, Texas - Brownwood is showcasing The Ark during National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
The Ark is a domestic violence and sexual assault shelter for Brown, Coleman, and Comanche counties.
There is someone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, that answers the crisis line at The Ark.
The Ark extends their services to men, women, children, and even pets, and does not discriminate against age.
"Domestic violence is a horrible crime, and it's growing, it's increasing daily," said Alanna Reitz-Beard, executive director at The Ark.
The Ark provides food and a kitchen area, shelter, and even transportation.
"If they're ready to get out and they don't have transportation, we will go pick them up," said Reitz-Beard.
A 31-year-old Early woman was a victim of domestic violence for seven years.
"I had children with him and I left when they were about two years old," the woman said.
She asked her identity be hidden because her children are now eight years old and she does not want them to be exposed to her story quite yet.
The woman was introduced to The Ark and commends their services.
"Ever since I've been here I can go there just when I need somebody to talk to," she said.
She was glad to find that there are place like The Ark with so many people that care.
"To find out that there are so many people that want you to leave and will help you anyway they can- that's pretty amazing," she said.
The Ark served 415 people in 2011 and took 2,703 hotline calls.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth