BROWNWOOD, Texas - Managing a fireworks stand was something Rose Massey always wanted to do, and so she did it.
Massey has only been working at the Mr. W fireworks stand for about two weeks.
She said she wants to give customers a chance to celebrate one of her favorite holidays, no matter the cost. She said she is invested in this business emotionally as well as financially.
"This little family came by; had $20, had about six kids...I could tell it sort of stretched the budget to bring that $20 to me instead of buying food. Let's just say the fireworks got real cheap for awhile," Massey said.
She said she wanted to do this so she could meet new people rather than spend a holiday alone.
Massey said she will donate a small percentage of her commission to Jake Landess, one of Brownwood's firefighters with leukemia.
Other things on Massey's bucket list include touring the U.S. and visiting Disney World's Epcot Center.
The stand off U.S. Highway 377 South is open 24/7 throughout July 4. People can text "LIONS" to 69302 for special deals on fireworks and elsewhere.
- Updated Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Updated Endwell, New York, wins Little League World Series
- Updated College Station police say 2 killed in apartment gunfire
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Lingering rain chances through the week
- Updated Dallas police squelch critics, questions about sniper attack