BROWNWOOD, Texas - A local organization dedicated to helping families is hitting a big milestone on Friday.
The Family Services Center has been serving the community for 15 years by offering programs such as parenting education, anger management, counseling, battering intervention and prevention, literacy services and more.
"It touches my heart to know in some small way that we're part of strengthening that family unit and that's really the most rewarding part of being here," executive director Doak Givan said.
Givan said he is honored and thankful to have the center's founders return for Friday's anniversary celebration. He said the organization has helped more than 22,000 individuals since it started.
"It is fantastic to see those success stories," volunteer outreach coordinator Jill Evans said. "It's so fulfilling after we see them come in and they have taken the services and they come back and say, 'Oh my goodness, my family has grown from this' or 'I am a stronger individual because of this'..."
"It's really about changing lives and that's rewarding. The ultimate goal and what helps you keep going is knowing that you're making an impact; and it's not to make it sound like it's me making an impact but to be part of something really big," Givan said.
Givan said he wants to the services to continue for at least another 15 years.
The Family Services Center will be holding an open house Friday afternoon starting at 2 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend. For more information on the programs available in the community, visit http://www.familysc.net/.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated