BROWNWOOD, Texas - Tis the season to be giving.
As part of the Christmas in July program, Good Samaritan Ministries (GSM) is collecting donations, which will go toward providing traditional meals in December.
GSM executive director Angelia Bostick said the Christmas in July program should make donors feel less stressed since there aren't other organizations vying for their attention.
"Everybody's pushing at Christmas time for those dollars, and there's only so many dollars available," Bostick said. "Do it in July when you're not being bombarded by so many different organizations in need."
Bostick said December is always the biggest month where more people are come for help.
"Even though it's vacation time, we're still here doing what we do: giving out food and helping people the best we can. We don't get a vacation from doing that so this is to remind people don't forget about GSM."
They've already raised at least $500. Bostick said it costs $30 to supply a box. Each box will contain enough food to feed a family of four. The month-long drive helped more than 1,200 people last December.
- Updated Redevelopment for West Texas Hilton hotel opened in 1929
- Updated Video of black Texas woman thrown to ground sparks review
- Updated Police: McDonald's worker in Texas fired for refusing officer service
- Updated Police save Texas robbery suspect from burning car after chase
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin