EARLY, Texas - He's not in it for the awards.
The Early Police Department's Sergeant Steven Means was one of eight officers honored in Austin Thursday morning for his actions at an RV park shooting that happened last July.
"I did what I had to do to keep everybody safe," Sergeant Means said. "I just think I did what anybody should've done in that situation. As police officers, we're expected to defend the citizens."
His ability to take down the suspect earned him the medal of valor, recognized by the state of Texas.
"That is the highest award that a police officer can receive and to receive that award, I mean that's a really big deal."
Sergeant Means, who has been working in law enforcement for about six and a half years, said getting the award was nice but at the end of the day, that does not affect why he comes to work.
"I just decided that I wanted to be the one that stood in between bad and good."
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web