BROWNWOOD, Texas - A 40-year-old former Brownwood-based Department of Public Safety trooper has been arrested on drug and weapons charges.
Brown County Sheriff Bobby Grubbs said his deputies, assisted by Brownwood police, arrested Eric Todd Whitley and his alleged common law wife, 36-year-old Stacie Elizabeth Bishop, in a south Brownwood residence Thursday evening around 7:50 p.m.
The Brown County Sheriff's Office issued a press release, which stated that Whitley and Bishop were suspected of trafficking drugs, mainly marijuana and methamphetamine.
Whitley, the former state trooper, and Bishop, a convicted felon, were charged with delivery of a controlled substance, a 1st-degree felony; possession of a controlled substance, a state jail felony; possession of marijuana, under two ounces, a Class B misdemeanor; and possession of a prohibited weapon, a 3rd-degree felony.
Bishop was also charged with unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, a 3rd-degree felony.
Sheriff Grubbs said law enforcers seized approximately seven ounces of cocaine. "It's unusual for this area. We don't get a lot of cocaine." He said narcotics officers have worked a lead on the suspects for a few months before they took action and executed a search warrant.
Also seized, the release said, was drug paraphernalia, pipes, digital scales and distribution material and "significant information on co-conspirators."
"Anytime anybody is a part of law enforcement and gets themselves on this trail, I'm glad to see them caught. They need to be caught. I don't have any sympathy for them," Sheriff Grubbs said.
The sheriff said he met Whitley awhile back. "I thought he was going to be a good man. It didn't work out that way."
According to DPS, Whitley worked with them from 2002 until 2006, when he resigned while disciplinary action was pending.
Whitley and Bishop are in the Brown County jail with bail set at $71,000 each.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated