BROWNWOOD, Texas - One of Brownwood's iconic restaurants is back in business.
Gomez Restaurant was the city's first Mexican restaurant. The family business lasted for 55 years until a few weeks ago, when family members decided to close down because it was time for some of them to retire. However, after several family meetings, the restaurant re-opened Friday evening.
Fabian Gomez is one of the restaurant's new co-owners, along with his two cousins.
"I'm excited and emotional. It's a dream come true and just the greatest feeling in the world," Fabian said. "To me, I feel like I won the lottery."
Another co-owner, Timothy Boisse, said he's ready to get back to work.
Sarah "Grandma" Gomez said she was touched when her grandsons asked for her permission to continue the family business. "I'm proud and excited to see my grandchildren going on. If their grandfather were here, he would be really happy about it too."
The restaurant matriarch and former owner is less than a month shy of turning 90 years old. She said she's also excited to see her customers again.
Many customers said they are pleased with the Gomez family's decision.
"My wife used to go there every weekend and Friday night when she was a kid and we kind of carried on some of the tradition of eating there with our kids," Gomez restaurant fan and customer Chris Furry said.
"I've gone to Gomez's with my parents since we were small children so it was very upsetting when they closed," Gomez restaurant fan and customer Tara Newton said. "It's a vital part of our community. It's family tradition for years, so we're extremely excited to have them reopen."
The restaurant will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. It will be open from 11 A.M. to 9 P.M. on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. On Fridays and Saturdays, it will be open from 11 A.M. to 2 P.M.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated