BROWNWOOD, Texas - United Supermarkets broke ground on their new store in Brownwood. The store will be located on the corner of Commerce Street and Riverside Drive. There will also be a United Express convenience store located here.
"It'll be a fast-paced project for us cause there's a lot of site work that has to be done before we can really have anything come out of the ground," said President of United Robert Taylor.
These two stores will be located on a 9.8 acre lot and bring up to 160 job opportunities for the community. The Brownwood City Council and Economic Development Corporation has committed up to $360,000 in incentives to be used on site preparation. This includes fixing flooding issues and removing all existing concrete.
Brownwood Mayor Stephen Haynes is excited to see United help expand the city.
"This is a great opportunity for the city of Brownwood," said Haynes "It's a really big development for us."
This plan has been on the table for nearly 18 months now and hopes to be completed and have both stores up and running by June 2015.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated