BROWNWOOD, Texas - United Supermarkets broke ground on their new store in Brownwood. The store will be located on the corner of Commerce Street and Riverside Drive. There will also be a United Express convenience store located here.
"It'll be a fast-paced project for us cause there's a lot of site work that has to be done before we can really have anything come out of the ground," said President of United Robert Taylor.
These two stores will be located on a 9.8 acre lot and bring up to 160 job opportunities for the community. The Brownwood City Council and Economic Development Corporation has committed up to $360,000 in incentives to be used on site preparation. This includes fixing flooding issues and removing all existing concrete.
Brownwood Mayor Stephen Haynes is excited to see United help expand the city.
"This is a great opportunity for the city of Brownwood," said Haynes "It's a really big development for us."
This plan has been on the table for nearly 18 months now and hopes to be completed and have both stores up and running by June 2015.
- KTXS Forecast: Wintry mix possible along with frigid temperatures
- Abilene veterans recognize 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 4 suspects
- CityLink campaign assists Food Bank of West Central Texas
- Abilene police seek woman for fraudulently using credit card
- Schools showing support on social media for injured Iraan cheerleaders
- Ranger College's Gillispie announces sudden retirement from coaching
- Brown County sisters receive 4th Grammy nomination
- Iraan football team returns to gridiron in wake of tragedy
- Coach's ring brings perspective to Sweetwater's run