BROWNWOOD, Texas - Thursday people gathered at the Family Service Center in Brownwood to discuss the lack of handicap accessible homes. Brown County has seven nursing homes and three assisted living facilities, some with waiting lists.
"It's a problem especially for rural areas for lower income people and elderly and handicap people," said Cheryl Reed, area specialist for USDA Rural Development in Abilene, "there's a limited number of resources there's a limited number of income and opportunities available to them."
The USDA Rural Development offers two loan programs for people in need of handicap accessible homes. One is for home ownership where they will receive a no down payment loan at a 3.625 interest rate to either purchase a home or repair a home to make it handicap accessible. There is also one for very low income to repair for health and safety hazards or handicap accessibility.
"Well most of our housing especially our government housing there is a long waiting list for and like our low income folks have a real difficult times getting into those places that they need to get into so we have a need for that," said Janie Harper, executive director of Redstone Park assisted living, "we just hope that we can get more housing here in Brownwood that will meet our low income and our handicap accessible need that we have here and get rid of some of these waiting list that we have."
- Updated DISH Network subscribers lose access to KTXS, ABC38, MeTV programming
- Updated Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Colorado City vet seriously injured in crash, fundraising effort underway
- Police: 2 children taken in 1985 found, mom arrested in Texas
- Video shows dog chained to open trailer on highway
- Abilene firefighters attack early morning fire
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Brown County Youth Fair steer auctioned for record $15,000
- Brownwood holds 5th annual MLK Day parade, ceremony
- Brown County fire department asking for help buying new truck
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- Clyde family seeks memorial quilt accidentally donated to Goodwill