BROWNWOOD, Texas - Hastings Entertainment stores located in the Big Country are in jeopardy of closing.
Hastings' parent company, Draw Another Circle, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday, according to a release.
The company has 30 days to find a buyer or else the company's 126 stores could close.
"We believe we are on the right path, but we need additional financial support to fully execute our plan for the future," President Jim Litwak said in a news release. "The Chapter 11 process will help to prepare our business for the intended sale."
JC Pruett has a comic book shop he opened in Brownwood four years ago. His business, called Jomio and Rueliete's Cards and Comics, sells games and comics and competes with Hastings.
"A business exists to make money, and so that's what they're supposed to do," Pruett said.
Pruett said he'll appreciate the new business, but added that brick and mortar stores are getting pummeled by online retailing.
"I can't imagine that anyone would fill that void," Pruett said. "Because it's dying already everywhere."
For residents in and around Brownwood, Hastings is the closest store for them to rent the newest video games and movies, and purchase books.
"We would hate to see them go," Steve Smith, who lives in Brookesmith, said. "We use them."
"It would mean I would have to drive 45 minutes or an hour to go to another game place," Kyle Cummings said.
Hastings Entertainment has stores in Brownwood, Abilene, Stephenville, and San Angelo. The company stated that stores will stop taking gift cards on July 13th and that game rentals are no longer available.
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country