BROWNWOOD, Texas - Scholarship has been established at Howard Payne University for a victim in the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting in July.
Gordon Cowden, 51, was a 1984 HPU graduate.
Cowden was the oldest victim in the shooting.
Cowden's family was recognized Saturday night at the Spurs game in San Antonio against the Denver Nuggets.
Saturday would have also been Cowden's 52 birthday.
Howard Payne University and the family and friends of Gordon Cowden came together at the AT&T Center where university officials presented Cowden's sister with a plaque during the Spurs Faith and Family Night half-time show.
The Gordon Ware Cowden Presidential scholarship will provide the student with $60,000 for four years toward tuition at Howard Payne University.
George Cowden, Gordon Cowden's brother, said the scholarship would have mean a lot to Gordon because he has children in college.
"He has four children, two of which are already in college, but two of which will be college age, so it's very meaningful to have a scholarship which will help other children get to college, and get an education," said Cowden.
David Cash had been friends with Gordon since the tenth grade, and said Gordon would be honored to have a scholarship in his name.
"Well, I'm sure he would have a modest take on it; he would have something humorous to say about it. I think that he'd be flattered, and gratified to know that this is being established," said Cash.
It's a lasting gesture, bringing comfort to his family, and carrying on Gordon Cowden's name.
- Updated San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- Updated 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams crowd during Mardi Gras parade; many injured
- Updated Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash