BROWNWOOD, Texas - Howard Payne University's Department of Public Safety officers met with the incoming freshmen on Friday to talk about campus safety. Director of Public Safety Dr. Paul Lilly said while HPU has a low crime rate they want to make sure it stays that way.
"We also don't just patrol the university," said Lilly "We also patrol the streets and businesses immediately adjacent to the university because 90% or better of their traffic is going to be university related."
Last year HPU had two arrests on campus, both alcohol related. The department also provides escort service to the students who want it.
"If they have any concerns they can call us and officers will walk with them or give them a ride to their car or to their dorm or wherever it is that they need to go within reason," said Lilly.
The department also works hand in hand with the Brownwood Police Department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated