BROWNWOOD, Texas - Camp Corral at Brownwood's 4-H center is giving kids of disabled and wounded military veterans a chance and a place to just be kids.
For camper Anahy Wong, it's a chance for her to meet and be with kids she can relate to.
"I feel like everybody here understands me. Normal people like civilians don't understand my problems with my mom like when she's deployed, but military kids do," Wong said. "I feel like this is my second home and my second family so that's what's making it fun."
"You get to see how other kids have adapted to their parents being in the military," camper Jennae Ramey said.
Wong said one of her coping methods is writing in a journal and reading about other military parents.
For the week of July 14, these kids can participate in stress-free camp activities.
"It's just helping me get away," Kuxhaus said, "Just having a week to myself."
"They just get to be kids and have fun and get away from the stress of everyday life," Texas 4-H program director Mark Carroll said. "Also, as a 4-H program it's a way to give back to military families."
This is the second year Camp Corral, which is sponsored by Golden Corral, was held at Brownwood's Texas 4H center. Within a year, the camp locations have doubled nationwide. Registration for next year's Camp Corral starts on February 1, 2014. For more information, visit www.campcorral.org.
- Updated Police chief: Homicide investigation continues regarding Brownwood man's death
- Updated Brownwood murder suspect wants lower bond to go to theme parks, judge denies
- Updated Texas boy dies after stepping into puddle with downed power line
- Teen's body recovered from Texas lake after canoe capsized
- Sweetwater teen wins gold medal in national powerlifting competition
- Abilene families release butterflies to remember their loved ones
- Young horse riders show off skills in Abilene
- Dog show held at Mall of Abilene
- Eighteen seniors graduate from Abilene Christian School
- Weather doesn't keep Williams from canvassing for votes
- Abilene's new aquatic center to open mid-June
- Police chief: Homicide investigation continues regarding Brownwood man's death
- Brownwood police release ID of man shot in head, upgrade charges against suspect
- 3 firefighters, 1 other injured in Brownwood house fire
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Brownwood, suspect arrested
- TEA says Mullin ISD violated education codes, defrauded state
- Brown County man sentenced to 35 years in prison for child sex crime
- Dyess We Care Team repairs the home of a WWII veteran
- Sweetwater residents welcome rain after severe storm
- NWS confirms multiple tornadoes touched down in northern Brown County
- DPS identifies driver of 18-wheeler that crashed off overpass in Callahan County
- Rain totals: 'Quite measurable' amounts recorded in Big Country
- Sweetwater police chase ends with car on top of 2 pickup trucks