BROWNWOOD, Texas - In what police are calling a "horrible tragedy," neighbors say a 4-year-old Brownwood girl was accidentally shot and killed by her father Sunday night while he was handling a gun in another room.
While police are remaining tight-lipped and aren't confirming details, neighbors said Gracie Morin was in the living room and her father in a closed bedroom when the accident occurred. Neighbors said the gunshot went through a drywall and struck the child.
Initial scanner traffic indicated the shooting was accidental.
In a news release, Brownwood police said the shooting happened around 8:15 p.m. in the 500 block of Parkway.
Upon arriving at the home, officers found a child bleeding from a single-gunshot wound.
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon