BROWNWOOD, Texas - In what police are calling a "horrible tragedy," neighbors say a 4-year-old Brownwood girl was accidentally shot and killed by her father Sunday night while he was handling a gun in another room.
While police are remaining tight-lipped and aren't confirming details, neighbors said Gracie Morin was in the living room and her father in a closed bedroom when the accident occurred. Neighbors said the gunshot went through a drywall and struck the child.
Initial scanner traffic indicated the shooting was accidental.
In a news release, Brownwood police said the shooting happened around 8:15 p.m. in the 500 block of Parkway.
Upon arriving at the home, officers found a child bleeding from a single-gunshot wound.
- Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene