BROWNWOOD, Texas - A 4-year-old girl was shot and killed in her family's home Sunday night in what police are calling a "horrible tragedy."
In a news release, Brownwood Assistant Police Chief James Fuller said the shooting happened around 8:15 p.m. in the 500 block of Parkway Drive.
Brownwood Police Chief Mike Corley has confirmed an adult family member was cleaning a semi-automatic handgun that discharged. Police aren't confirming the family's name, but neighbors say the killed child was Gracie Morin.
Corley said the bullet that killed the 4-year-old girl passed through a bedroom wall and struck the girl in the living room after the gun discharged. He said several people were in the home at the time of the shooting.
Police do not think it's going to be more than a "tragic accident," but officers still continue to investigate.
Corley said two officers went to the autopsy in Fort Worth.
On Monday, the day after the shooting, the police tape was gone, children's bicycles laid across several yards, and a neighborhood still grieves.
"Things like that happen and you don't know why," said neighbor Oscar Emison.
"We were really sad to hear about the little girl," said Emison.
"The little girl had a lot of friends on this block. There's a lot of kids that played with her, and she's such a darling," said neighbor Linda Emison.
Linda Emison was outside during the shooting.
"I saw the police cars and Dillon, the little boy that lives there, [he] was all excited about his sister, and I saw the ambulance come and take her away," she said.
The Emisons know the Morin family well, and describe them as sweet, loving, and caring.
"I know anything that happened was definitely an accident, and it's horrible, and it's going to be hard for them to get through [it]. It's going to be hard for the neighbors to get through it," Linda Emison said.
The child-filled, Parkway Drive neighborhood was still and somber Monday.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash