BROWNWOOD, Texas - A new, family-run pharmacy in Brownwood is going up against corporate giants.
Jacobs Family Pharmacy opened for its first day of business Monday morning. Co-owner Kerri Jacobs said she was amazed by the turnout and community support.
"We didn't open till 8:00 and they were here at 7:30 this morning just to surround us and say a blessing over us," Kerri said. "We are invested in this community. We love them and they have been great to us."
Kerri's husband Tim said the best part about an independent pharmacy is knowing the customers a bit more personally. "When you've lived in a community for awhile, and you've been active in the community and you see the people and know the people, when they come in your door, it's extra special."
Tim said it's also special to have his family invested in the business. "I grew up on a farm where all of the family worked on the farm, and it was so nice to be with your family as you worked and it's very difficult to find that type of environment today but I can do it with this pharmacy."
Kerri said big names like CVS, Walgreens and Walmart have more available hours that independent pharmacies cannot compete with, but Jacobs Family Pharmacy offers convenience, fast service and familiarity.
"America is aging and America is graying and as the population gets grayer, that generally generates more prescriptions and as that happens then that gives us a better place to work," Tim said.
This particular pharmacy has turned to technology, where the customers can create profiles to refill prescriptions and they can leave questions and feedback. There is an app for that as well.
The pharmacy also sells self-serve frozen yogurt and other accessories. It is open Mondays through Fridays from 8:00a.m. to 6p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00a.m. to noon.
- Updated Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer