BROWNWOOD, Texas - An investigation into a murder at the Peach House RV Park in Early has come to an end.
Earlier this month, a Brown County grand jury returned no bills for Early Police Sgt. Steven Means and Early citizen Vic Stacy.
According to police, 58-year-old Charles Conner shot and killed 58-year-old David House and 53-year-old Valentina Calaci following a dispute over the couple's dogs.
When Means arrived, Conner began firing at him. When Stacy, a resident of the park, saw Means was in trouble, he acted, firing shots along with Means that resulted in Conner's death.
On Thursday, Stacy said when he heard he was cleared and no longer being investigated, he could sum up his feelings in one word: relief.
"I was just trying to do what person needs to do," said Stacy.
Stacy and Means fired back at Conner who was hit and died at the scene.
Now, Means and Stacy have no further liability in this case, and the jury found the shooting was justifiable.
"Relieved at the whole thing. I've been sitting around here all tensed up thinking about the thing, and now that it's over with we can go on with our lives and do whatever we want to do," said Stacy.
Brown County Sheriff Bobby Grubbs said from the beginning both men acted responsibly.
"This was a clean shooting, and he handled himself very well," said Grubbs.
Stacy has an invitation from Governor Rick Perry to come to Austin and be presented with a sniper riffle.
"Oh man, that'd be an honor- to even get to meet the guy,"said Stacy.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer