EARLY, Texas - A small accessory can become a huge necessity in keeping senior citizens from burning up.
Early's Care Nursing and Rehab center is asking for fan donations or money to purchase fans, which will help the elderly combat the summer heat.
The center's marketing and admissions director Jodie Armstrong said she got the idea to start the drive after reading an online article about another city in Texas doing the same thing.
"We're going to take care of our elderly first because they're in the most danger," Armstrong said. "They don't get to get out or get in the pool to cool themselves off."
Many senior citizens live in homes where there isn't enough air circulation. Armstrong said there are people who are in fixed income and may not be able to afford air conditioning. Yet with the heat outside, opening doors and windows don't help much, if at all. Some folks may not realize they are getting hot. This can result in the elderly getting heat strokes and other health issues.
Armstrong said anyone in Brown County in need of a fan will get one. However, there is a screening process to ensure that they are not duplicating fans for families.
It has been a good turnout considering the drive started on the fourth of July. So far they have received nearly 80 fans and roughly $70 in donations.
"Brownwood is always supportive of anything that we do here that betters the community. I didn't even think twice about it. I knew that we would be having money or fans come in."
Armstrong and a few staff members will be delivering the fans, which can also be picked up at the Care Nursing and Rehab center. The drive will run throughout the end of August. If you are interested in donating or have any questions, you can call Jodie Armstrong at (325) 642-0363.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated