BROWNWOOD, Texas - Jackie Bibby loves his hobby so much that it cost him his leg.
Known as the Texas snake man, Bibby got bit by a rattlesnake on Sept. 12 during a show in front of hundreds of spectators.
It happened when he was handling one snake and didn't notice another rattler on the ground.
It bit him in the calf.
Now, Bibby needs a prosthetic leg that will cost about $50,000.
That's why long time friend and former member of the Brownwood Jaycees Pat McLaughlin has organized a fundraiser for Bibby.
"Jackie has helped bring lots of recognition to our program and help us do a lot in the community. We felt the necessity to jump in and help him," McLaughlin said.
The fundraiser will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday in the Hastings parking lot in Brownwood. Brisket sandwiches, chips, and a drink will be served for $6 for each plate. Snow cones are going to be available by donation
Bibby started his career at a Brownwood rattlesnake roundup 43 years ago.
"I entered a sacking contest. It was a timed event: who could put 10 rattlesnakes in a sack the fastest. The first time I ever got involved I won two trophies, $30, and I got my name in the paper, so I've been hooked ever since," Bibby said.
Being bit by rattlesnakes is not unfamiliar territory for the Rising Star native; he has been bitten 11 times, but he said he won't stop doing what he loves.
"Four out of 10 rattlesnake bites are what's known as a dry bite, you receive a puncture wound, but no envenomation. I've had several of those of course, but they did not require hospitalization," Bibby said.
Despite losing his leg, Bibby said he's never giving up his hobby.
"Like any other rodeo cowboy, you know, you've got to get back on the horse that bucked you off," Bibby said.
So what does scare Jackie Bibby if snakes don't do the trick?
"Women, that's about it! They've got me in more trouble than rattlesnakes ever did," Bibby said.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- New San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer