BROWNWOOD, Texas - Brown County residents will see two Republican candidates on their ballots for County Commissioner Precinct 2.
Joel Kelton is currently serving his second term as Brown County Commissioner Precinct 2, which is the northeast quadrant of the county that covers the city of May. His opponent is Adron Beck.
"Being a lifetime resident of Brown County, I am familiar with the needs and wants of the county and the residents," said Beck.
Both candidates are long-time residents of Brown County. Both said they want to focus on improving infrastructure of county roads.
"Precinct 2 county roads have a lot of stress from people moving into the county and from pipeline construction," said Beck.
"I also want to create a good environment for everybody to live and work in," said Kelton.
According to Kelton, in addition to taking care of the roads, county commissioners are responsible for maintaining budgets and approving hiring and firing in county government departments.
He said one of the biggest challenges he's recently dealt with is a tight budget.
"I just want to keep our county growth to a minimum. We need to staff our departments adequately. We don't need to grow anything we don't have to," said Kelton. "I think that we currently have enough staff in all departments."
Speaking of departments, Beck said he wants to maintain a strong law enforcement in the county if he gets elected.
Kelton said he is more Conservative than Beck while Beck said he has more hands-on experience with the workforce.
Early voting ends Feb. 28th. Election Day is March 4th.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated