BROWNWOOD, Texas - There's no shortage of support for a Brownwood High School graduate who is in a Ft. Worth hospital.
21-year-old Yanna Miller was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.
When Yanna went to the emergency room on January 18 for nausea, dizziness, and pain in her right side, no one thought the diagnosis would be cancer.
Now family and friends have organized a fundraiser for Yanna.
Nearly 300 t-shirts were sold and donations were made Friday and Monday for Yanna and her family.
The t-shirts sold for $12-$14, raising at least $3,600 for Yanna's medical bills and her family's travel expenses.
"Stacy Reitz had the idea of doing the t-shirt fundraiser for Yanna to help them offset some of the costs that they're incurring. The response was so overwhelming that first day," said Angela Ontiveros, family friend.
People stopped by the Hasting's parking lot steadily to make donations.
Yanna's sister and step-mom were overwhelmed by the support.
"This rallying of the community is helping a lot to stay positive and to keep her just surrounded by love. She just knows that she's loved through this whole orderal," said Sonja Miller, Yanna's stepmom.
Yanna's spirits reflect the love and support from family and friends.
"She's very happy, she's laughing, smiling, she's very positive, and she just wants everybody to know that she loves them, and thank you for all the prayers and support, it means a lot to her," said Tiffany Hunter, Yanna's sister.
Yanna had surgery on Tuesday to remove the tumor from her colon, however doctors will still need to keep watching. Unfortunately, the cancer has spread to her liver and lungs.
Yanna and her family remain very optimistic.
To follow Yanna's journey on Facebook, visit Yanna's Healing Journey http://http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yannas-Healing-Journey/135284173301444?ref=stream.
For information on buying t-shirts or making a donation, contact Stacy Reitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All t-shirt orders must be in Tuesday at noon.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated