ZEPHYR, Texas - It's rodeo time in Brown County.
The Zephyr Junior Rodeo kicks off Thursday evening at 8p.m. Some of the activities for kids to participate in include calf riding, bull riding, mutton busting and barrel racing. There will be different activities for the various age groups, from ages 8 and under, to ages 16 through 19.
"It takes a ton of work," Perkins said, "but it couldn't happen without a tremendous amount of people." Perkins said the support can be overwhelming, but he is very grateful the support has kept tradition going.
The Zephyr Junior Rodeo has been around since 1962.
"Our community couldn't do without it. I mean it's just one of the major events in our town that happens every year and we just hate to let it die," Perkins said.
Perkins has been involved with the rodeo ever since he was a kid. His grandpa was one of the people who started it, and now the event is going on its fourth generation.
The rodeo runs through Saturday. There is no closing hour for the Zephyr Junior Rodeo. Perkins said the latest people have stayed out at the rodeo is around 2:30a.m.
- Weather warning: Enhanced fire danger for much of Big Country
- Updated Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- Woman's sassy obit warns people to wait to claim her stuff
- Winning ticket for $435 million Powerball sold in Indiana