ZEPHYR, Texas - It's rodeo time in Brown County.
The Zephyr Junior Rodeo kicks off Thursday evening at 8p.m. Some of the activities for kids to participate in include calf riding, bull riding, mutton busting and barrel racing. There will be different activities for the various age groups, from ages 8 and under, to ages 16 through 19.
"It takes a ton of work," Perkins said, "but it couldn't happen without a tremendous amount of people." Perkins said the support can be overwhelming, but he is very grateful the support has kept tradition going.
The Zephyr Junior Rodeo has been around since 1962.
"Our community couldn't do without it. I mean it's just one of the major events in our town that happens every year and we just hate to let it die," Perkins said.
Perkins has been involved with the rodeo ever since he was a kid. His grandpa was one of the people who started it, and now the event is going on its fourth generation.
The rodeo runs through Saturday. There is no closing hour for the Zephyr Junior Rodeo. Perkins said the latest people have stayed out at the rodeo is around 2:30a.m.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash